On 19-20 October 2011, IOM hosted a conference in Budapest on the issues of diaspora engagement and the return of human capital.
The conference brought together representatives of institutions in the Western Balkans and the EU Member States to:
• Discuss challenges and obstacles to the permanent or temporary return of skills and skilled migrants to the region
• Identify strategies to engage diaspora communities and their human and social capital in the socio-economic development of the region, including the concept of temporary or virtual return
• To provide a forum for best practices in partnerships between employing institutions in countries of origin and destination
• Identify strategies to minimize the brain drain and brain waste
• Discuss circular migration and how it can contribute to prevention of permanent brain drain from the region
For more information see Events section.